1.04.2009

Dance Rant.

So, I'm watching this show on NBC called "Superstars of Dance".

There are eight nations and each submits a solo, duo, and a group.

The Irish group did what Irish dancers do best. It was awesome.

Then the United State's solo contestant popped.

REALLY? Popping looks cool, but it's not the type of dance that would win you an overall dance competition. Can't we define that as something else? That frustrates me on SYTYCD, a bunch of people get on for being genuinely talented at popping, but then can't maintain the talent because they really can't dance all that well.

Doug tells me that he was a SYTYCD reject. We couldn't get one of the winners?

Sigh.

I'm Peachy.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thing is.. I've seen Robert Muraine do routines that were a LOT better than that. I have *no* idea why he did that particular one.

I think it's a bit stereotypical to say that they get in for popping but can't maintain themselves. A popper won last season and yes, he carried himself quite well through the competition. And many others have gone quite far in the competitions.

Mary said...

Yep! Joshua was a popper and an insanely good one but he rocked contemporary and some of the ballrooms. ;o)

Winners probably weren't allowed for whatever reason. Those television politics. But Anya and Pasha are there and Pasha made it pretty far so I guess contestants are allowed, just not the winners. :)

<3