8.27.2011

Weather!

So, as anyone who knows me knows, I love weather, especially extreme weather, and other natural disasters.  I'm fascinated.  Therefore, this week has been super exciting.  I've been watching MSNBC and CNN online all week (we don't have cable).  I already know how to stay safe in these situations, because I've been learning about these events since I was little.  When I was about 7 or 8, my aunt moved to California, and in 1994, she experienced the Northridge Earthquake.  We were glued to the TV.  The coverage was riveting.  My family is a family that probably watches way too much TV.  It's always on.  The idea of an earthquake was scary to me, so my mom or dad suggested I learn about them.  If I could gain understanding of an earthquake (and that they don't happen often where I live), I would fear them less.  So true!

That brings us to this past Tuesday.  I was in the kitchen cleaning up my lunch dishes when the apartment starting trembling.  "It's just my neighbors," I thought, "they walk around like elephants."  I began walking back to my room, where Elliott was sleeping the afternoon away.  Suddenly, Barney bolted past me, his tail as fluffed out as a raccoon's.  That's when I realized the bookshelves were swaying and everything was moving.  I ran to my room and scooped up Elliott, who had not realized anything was amiss until I picked him up.  Barney was under the bed already.  "Good," I thought, "the cat knows what to do."  I looked for a heavy piece of furniture to stow myself and my child under, but the desk wasn't really an option.  There were wires and other things in the way.  I went for my second best option: the doorframe.  It should never be your first option, but it's better than nothing.  I stood there for a few seconds and the shaking stopped.  I checked the apartment for fallen items or damage, although I was sure there wouldn't be any, and then tended to my poor trembling cat.  He didn't leave my side for the rest of the day, and has been clingy ever since.  My neighbors, who I initially believed to be the source of the shaking, are moving out, so they have been noisier than ever.  I've had a couple of "Oh no, more earthquakes" moments, but watched Barney for an appropriate response.  He knows what's up.

I'm more concerned about this weekend's hurricane, Irene.  It will probably prove to do more damage to the area, and since my apartment is surrounded by GIANT trees, one of which totaled my parents' car in April with just one, albeit large, limb.  I contemplated packing up the kid, the cat, and the husband for a weekend jaunt to safe, only slightly damp Harrisburg, but the storm is weakening and I feel like it's not worth it.  We re-parked to the car to a less tree-infested area, we took other precautions, and are ready to leave should things turn.  I have a feeling it will just be super exciting.

The rain is starting outside...

- I'm peachy.

No comments: