8.03.2009

Megan's Mild Obsessions - Conan O'Brien

I'm in love with a man.

Well, yes, Jason is really the answer, but there is another answer...I have never met him, but I've fallen asleep with him numerous times.

His name is Conan O'Brien.



Ok, I guess I'm not "in love" with him, as creepy as that would be. However, I love his show and he makes me laugh, and isn't that the most important thing? I've been watching Conan O'Brien since his last program, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien". When I was in late middle school and high school, I would watch him at 7pm the day following his broadcast on CNBC (of all places...I had no idea that was a channel about commerce until college). One of the most exciting things about going to college was the fact that I would be able to watch Conan when he was on any night of the week. I had a small TV in college with only bunny ears, but fortunately the clearest station on the dial was always NBC10 out of Bala Cynwyd, PA, so I could always spend the 12:35 to 1:35 hour with Mr. O'Brien. My sophomore year roommate and I (that roommate being Ms. Muller) always watched Conan and ate cheese and crackers. It was a nice way to wind down after a night of rehearsal or just a tough day. After Conan would thank his musical or stand-up guest, he would remind us to stay tuned for Carson Daly, which Michele and I knew was just his special way of telling us to turn off the TV and go to bed and not stay up for the horrible-ness that is Carson Daly.

When he was promoted to the Tonight Show, I was happy and sad all at the same time. When he was on the Late Show, he was in New York and there was always the chance that I could go and see his show. Now, he is in LA and I'll have to make a pilgrimage to be in his audience. Also, his promotion resulted in a long time with no new Conan, then no Conan at all because Jimmy Fallon was making his mark. (I have to say while Fallon is not a "MMO", I am a fan. We met once in 30th street station and he was extremely nice and talked to me way longer than he was obligated to...more or less at his own doing. Thanks Jimmy!). It was rough. I got by through watching old episodes and bits on NBC.com and Hulu. Still, I waited with bated breath for June 1, 2009 and his return.

Thanks to his new time slot, I was able to watch him every night and I got my mom hooked as well. She always enjoyed her hour of comedy on Comedy Central with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, but one night we were watching and without prompt at 11:35, she switched to WGAL 8 to see Conan. I was so proud.



His monologues are hilarious, as are his out of studio stunts. One of my personal favorites, and I'm sure I'm not alone, was the Old-Timey Baseball League. The way he interacts with people is just priceless, especially if they either want to appear overly serious and don't play along (requiring him to play along) or when they just don't get it. I have also enjoyed his trips around the NBC/Universal lot in LA, taking tours, using the sound effects stage, and exploring the prop rooms. He's just a very funny guy.

Right now I can't watch Conan when he is on "live" because I don't have TV of any kind. This is not a moral choice, but a mix of wanting to save money and being lazy. However, Hulu to the rescue. The other night Jason and I sat up and watched a couple of episodes back to back. When we came back from a week in the Finger Lakes, we watched all the back episodes. There is no narrative, but like the Simpsons, one doesn't want to miss a thing. If you miss a really funny episode or bit, and it becomes a re-occurring gag, you don't want to be out of the loop and have to catch up then.



In short, Conan cracks me up.

UPDATE: Last week, during a taping, Conan sustained a head injury after slipping on the floor. Look for the video in a variety of places, especially the one after he recovered and he and Andy Richter tell the story. He is A-Ok now, but I was worried. Feel better, Mr. O'Brien!

Next up: Coca-cola. I promise.

I'm peachy!

1 comment:

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I am freakin in love with Conan too. He slays me!