I would like to begin this entry with this statement: I AM THE WORST BLOGGER OF ALL TIME. I go along with an entry every day or so, collecting faithful readers, then BAM! for no reason, I drop off the face of the earth. It's been about 2 months since I last wrote an entry, so I apologize. I haven't really been busy, so I have no reason for not writing. Here's what I've been up to:
MY THESIS
Last week I visited PSHarrisburg to meet with my thesis advisors, and they were really pleased with my progress. They think I'll be 100% completed by Halloween, which would be fabulous. Right now, the whole thing is 71 pages, but there are holes that I need to fill, so it will probably clock in around 90. 90 pages. Only once before have I produced such a body of work (honors project, 2006-2007), but my thesis will be better writing over all. I'll be really excited to get it done and move on to new projects, but I know that I'll miss doing it as well.
JOB SEARCH
I look everyday and apply to a few jobs a week (not because I limit myself, but that's because there isn't much out there). Thanks to the new arts tax, my job search will probably get even more difficult. While I'd love to work in dance or theatre, museum or historical work is what I have training in doing...but since the arts tax only affects MUSEUMS and THEATRES and DANCE PERFORMANCES and ALL PERFORMING ARTS, I'll just keep plugging away. Jerks. It's also frustrating because I've worked so hard to get my degree in record time and I had an assistantship and I am a quality little worker (toot, toot). I learn fast, and I like to get things done quickly and correctly. I have no idea how to properly convey that in my resume without sounding full of myself, but I wish people would give me a chance, even though I don't have 3 - 5 years experience. Why does every job seem to require that?
WEDDING
Wedding plans are going well. Mom and Jill are really the forces behind most of the planning, but I've done some things as well. I'm working on floor plans, favors, centerpieces, and things that only Jason and I can work on. Not much to report. My shower is in a few weeks, so I'm excited for that. :)
LIFE IN PHILLY
I love living here. I love being close to my friends and close to Jason. It makes life so much easier. Now, if I could just get a job and find something to do with myself...
There you have it. My life in a little blog entry.
I'm trying to get my movie blog up and running again, so if you'd like to write for it, please let me know. You can write on ANY movie, new or old, domestic or foreign, comedy or drama.
I'm peachy.
2 comments:
Don't pay any attention to the 3-5 year thing - apply for the jobs you want. Experience is just a number. The idea is to get in there for an interview and show them what you have to offer. They are required to put down experience. Actually, it's more to weed out the people with TOO MUCH experience. In this economy, overqualified people are applying for jobs that are below them - and usually they require better pay, so you don't want them applying - thus the 3-5 number. That says "not entry level" but "not too experienced either".
I hear you about the Arts Tax sistah. I'm trying to find a new job and its well, frustrating.
Screw 3-5 years of experience! If you won't give a chance to people with less experience, how the hell do these people with 3-5 years experience even exist? :-P
Good luck in your search!
(And with that thesis as well!)
PS - check out my blog - I'm getting ready to launch into a 101 in 1001 and need book/film suggestions! <3
Post a Comment