So, I just have a few thoughts about a few different things.
School: I'm ready for next semester. I'm taking some really neat classes, including one where our final project is a documentary. How cool is that? I've always had an interest in film, so this will be nice to have it justified. I'm getting very close to beginning some serious writing, so that is always exciting. This is why I went to grad school; to write. Not only am I writing, I'm writing about topics that I'm very interested in and have always been interested in: Broadway in the 21st century, historical fiction/new journalism, and the impact of the space program in America. I'm also ready to write some smaller papers.
Politics: After seeing Obama last Friday, I am definitely re-energized politically. I'm also reaffirmed in my choice. I need to be less biased when I watch the debates. I want to see my candidate do well, but I also don't want to unnecessarily disparage the other person. The one thing I feel right now is slight disappointment. Both men, prior to the presidential race, were beacons of change and integrity. However, both have compromised their visions and personal character to some extent to win votes. The smear campaigns in both campaigns have to end and we need to get back to the issues. The economic crisis is almost a blessing in disguise (almost...) because it fires up the American public. We have an issue that CANNOT BE IGNORED and that the American people will not allowed to be pushed to the back of their minds. It was quite evident at the town-hall debate last night that the public, and more obviously the undecided voters, are going to force both men to really come up with a plan and lay it out for the American public. The debate last night was also not a good night for both men. Obama should not have asked for more time and stretched the rules of the debate. He signed off on those rules and should have stuck by them. However, I really liked the way he addressed the audience, especially the person who posed the question at hand. He does well talking to an audience in the way he used to teach at the University of Chicago. McCain's conduct at certain times could not have been more deplorable. The little jokes and asides were unnecessary, and he really talked down to the audience at times. I was also disappointed in McCain because this was supposed to be his strong forum, and he could have turned things around for himself. I didn't feel like he did. Both men addressed the issues to about equal extent, although my bias has me seeing one candidate winning over the other. However, that's personal opinion, which is one of the beauties of living in the United States of America. Lately I've been hearing people say that neither candidate is worth a darn, which I disagree with on both counts. I think that sometimes the American public is worn out with having to really research the issues. It has never been so important that the American public honestly take stock of each person and their issues. We are finally taking our citizenship to a new level. The responsibility is not an easy one, but we must take it seriously. With our incredible rights, come extensive responsibility. The founders hoped that their descendants would take politics and government as seriously as they did, and we are really coming through this time.
Exhaustion: I have never been so tired. Last weekend was simply a whirlwind of awesome opportunities and good times with friends, so I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, I'm tired. I slept 10 hours last night by accident, but I usually wouldn't sleep that long, so I guess I needed it. On that note, I'm beginning to feel really fulfilled. My friendships are getting deeper, my relationship with my family is better. Sleep is overrated sometimes. I'm sure Jason would disagree, but his excess sleep habits give me some alone time to do work. I've been reading some incredible books for class and brainstorming papers. It's a good thing.
Creative Projects: I'm re-embracing my creative side. My scrapbooks are coming along well, but I'm out of pictures and supplies, so that's on hold. I also had an incredible idea for a story, so that's nice. I consider my term papers creative projects as well, so those are top priority. They will get me to conferences next semester, so they have to be really kick-ass. I have the chance to go to New Orleans (a big If...but who knows) for the Pop Culture Conference. I'll probably also go to the Mid-Atlantic American Studies Conference.
I'm going to Philly for the third weekend in a row on Friday. I love going to Philly, but it is also a tad exhausting because of travel and the lack of work I get done. I may also be getting sick, which is always fun. Blah. Time for paper writing.
I'm peachy.
No comments:
Post a Comment