12.18.2008

Extreme Home Cry-fest

I know I'm going to get made fun of for this, but...

I was watching "Extreme Home Makeover" today during lunch (I was watching "I Love Lucy", but it ended) and they were helping a family with a son with cerebral palsy. Nothing out of the ordinary for this program.

I cried at least 4 times.

Not just misty eyes either, but almost sobbing about how beautiful it is to see people helping people (even if it might be a contrived reality show...). The cast of the show seems to really care about these people and the lives they live.

We were talking about being considerate the other day in my 21st Century Civilization Class. They were all complaining that no one ever holds doors or says "Thank You" any more. Now, perhaps La Salle is a bubble, but I don't recall people being too inconsiderate. Sure, the Masque kids laughed at people trying in vain to push the door to Backstage. Yeah, my dorm neighbors played their music loudly and drunkenly screamed at all hours. However, as we got older, that happened less. If you had an issue, especially with noise, you could usually go next door and ask politely for the music to go down. Here in my apartment now, the neighbors downstairs wake me up all the time because they choose to screech at their children at all hours of the morning. I can't go down there and ask them to quiet down...I've seen them in action outside and I'm almost afraid of them. The people who used to live upstairs from me had sex constantly...very loud sex. They moved. Maybe the people downstairs will move too.

People at Penn State think I'm some sort of weird communist because I think that people should have a chance to get a good education and enjoy learning and be part of their community. They think it's odd that I feel that people should take part in their community and represent the things they belong to when they go out into the world. Be good to others. I think that is strange.

I saw a sign the other day that said "Just Be Nice". That is my new phrase to live by.

I'm peachy.

No comments: